Port Townsend cat starts fire by stepping on toaster

Print
Email
|

by JAKE WHITTENBERG / KING 5 News

NWCN.com

Posted on November 9, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Updated Saturday, Nov 13 at 7:01 PM

PORT TOWNSEND, Wash. - A cat who liked to sleep on top of a oven started a kitchen fire in Port Townsend by depressing the toaster lever.

"All of a sudden there was like flames over on that side of the room in the kitchen," said Lois Lund.

Lois went for the garden hose. "It was surprisingly quick that it went out," she said.

The damage was done. But what happened?

Firefighters say the fire started in the toaster.  They found the spring on the burned-out toaster was down.

Lois says that could have only happened one way - the cat, 10-year-old Osiris, activated the hot the toaster with his paw.

"And I had a little cloth over it, but that must have caught fire," said Lois.

Lois' daughter Sena remembered Osiris acting strangely the night of the fire.

"I just thought that was the weirdest thing, because the toaster wasn't that comfortable but he was sitting there on the toaster," she said.

The cat escaped and no one was hurt, but now Lois and Sena have a lot of cleaning up to do.

"We tried to make some jokes about it, like it's a CAT-astrophic event," said Lois.

The fire caused $20,000 worth of damage. Lois says she has insurance.

Print
Email
|