Mother and daughter duo Heather and Pia Christo are here to make a deliciously sweet twist on a classic scone and strawberry limeade.
Heather Christo is a trained chef who has been featured on shows like Good Morning America Health, the Today show and more. Her focus is on making allergy-free food delicious and simple to make. Heather's newest book, "Pure Delicious: More than 150 Delectable Allergen-Free Recipes Without Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Soy, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Shellfish, or Cane Sugar," is out now. It's a James Beard finalist in the Health category for books.
For more information on Heather's books, her mission, and all her amazing allergen-free recipes, click here.
Click here for her apple cinnamon recipe.
Click here for her new book "Pure Delicious" with her blackberry scone recipe and more.
Check out the limeade and Lemon Raspberry Coconut Scone below:
Strawberry Coconut Limeade:
- ¼ cup sugar (I used organic beet sugar)
- ½ cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 2 cups coconut water
- ice and fresh mint for serving
- In the jar of a blender combine the sugar, lime juice and strawberries and puree on high for a few seconds. Add the coconut water and puree on high speed.
- Fill glasses with ice cubes and pour the limeade over the ice. Garnish with mint.
Lemon Raspberry Coconut Scones
- 2 tablespoons meyer lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons meyer lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk (from a carton)
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour (I used Bobs Red Mill)
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup toasted shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon xanthum gum
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons cold vegan butter
- ½ cup fresh raspberries
- Lemon Vanilla Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened coconut milk (from a carton)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1-2 teaspoon meyer lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons toasted shredded unsweetened coconut
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees and prepare a sheet pan with parchment or a silpat.
- In a small bowl, combine the unsweetened coconut milk and the lemon juice and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor combine all of the dry ingredients and pulse to combine. Pulse in the vegan butter until it is well combined into the dry ingredients. Stream in the coconut milk/lemon juice while running the food processor and pulse it until the dough comes together into a ball. Transfer the dough to your work surface and shape into a disc.
- Use a sharp knife and gently cut the disc in half across the middle. (If you need to flour your knife go ahead!) Flip the top of the disc off and fill the middle with the raspberries. Place the top of the disc back on and then slice the disc into 6 wedges and transfer them to your prepared sheetpan.
- Bake the scones for 14 minutes until golden. Let them cool slightly and then drizzle with the Lemon Vanilla Glaze.
- For the Lemon Vanilla Glaze:
- In a small bowl, whisk everything together until smooth, you may need an additional teaspoon of milk to get the glaze extra smooth!
- Drizzle the glaze over the top of the scones and then sprinkle with the toasted coconut.