Prince William backs Prince Harry's call for Meghan Markle's privacy

The royal brothers are sticking together.

After Prince Harry, 32, released a statement both confirming his relationship with girlfriend Meghan Markle and calling for restraint in the press's coverage of her, rumors in the British press swirled that his brother, Prince William, did not support the decision. Issuing the statement broke with royal norms not to comment on the private and romantic lives of the royals.

However, William, 34, released his own statement Monday assuring that he supported his brother's decision.

“The Duke of Cambridge absolutely understands the situation concerning privacy and supports the need for Prince Harry to support those closest to him," a Kensington Palace press spokesman said in a statement emailed to USA TODAY.

Harry released the highly unusual statement confirming his relationship with Markle, a 35-year-old American actress best known for the USA drama Suits, to the press earlier this month, after the flood of harassment and abuse of Markle and her family forced him to break with royal tradition. In the statement, he said he feared for her safety.

“It is not right that a few months into a relationship with him that Ms. Markle should be subjected to such a storm," the statement from Kensington Palace read.

"He knows commentators will say this is ‘the price she has to pay’ and that ‘this is all part of the game.’ He strongly disagrees. This is not a game – it is her life and his.”

KING


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment