Tell us about your hero.
We are looking for people who make a difference...individuals who have made their community, the nation and the world a better place.
The Jefferson Awards honors ordinary people who do extraordinary things for others. Initiated in 1972 to create a "Nobel Prize" for public service, awards are presented both nationally and locally. Join us to recognize Washington's "unsung heroes" and to inspire volunteerism in our local communities. Click here to nominate your hero online today! For more information about the national Jefferson Awards program, visit www.JeffersonAwards.org.
About the process:
Five volunteers from Washington State will receive the Washington State Jefferson Award for their outstanding volunteerism. The winners will be judged by a panel of community leaders and their stories will be told on Evening Magazine the week of March 12th. New this year, winners will receive a gift of volunteer management assessment and consultation from the United Way of King County. One winner will be selected as the National Nominee and will be sponsored to represent our state in Washington D.C. You can help select the National Nominee by watching Evening Magazine during the week of March 12, then voting at KING5.com. Anyone in Washington State can vote. All five winners will be recognized at a breakfast in April in Seattle. The National Nominee will be announced at that time and also featured that day on New Day Northwest. The public is invited to attend the breakfast to honor our Jefferson Award winners and take part in the call to action for volunteerism.
How to submit a nomination:
Nomination materials must be RECEIVED by CityClub no later than 5 p.m., Friday, Feb. 10, 2012. Please note that past winners are ineligible for nomination. Complete and submit a Nomination Form, or mail, e-mail or fax the completed Nomination Form and other supplemental enclosures to:
Attn: Jefferson Awards Committee
1333 Fifth Avenue, Suite 24
Seattle, WA 98101-2600
Fax: (206) 467-7394
Phone: (206) 682-7395
- Nomination materials must be RECEIVED by CityClub no later than 5pm on Friday, Feb. 10, 2012.
- Judging will take place during the week of February 13.
- Winners will be announced the week of March 12 on Evening Magazine.
- Online voting for a National Nominee will be open at KING5.com after the winners are announced on Evening Magazine
- All five winners will be celebrated and the National Nominee will be announced at the Jefferson Awards in April in Seattle.
- Letter of Nomination (750 words maximum)
- Completed Nomination Form
- Up to 5 supplemental materials (newspaper articles, letters of recommendation, awards etc.). Please note the nominee's name on the enclosures. We regret that we are unable to return enclosures.
Criteria to use as you write your nomination letter:
- Vision: Ability to imagine a better world and to articulate a desire for the common good.
- Dedication: Commitment and follow through to realize goals.
- Creativity: Innovation in approach and problem solving.
- Tenacity: Overcoming roadblocks and persistence.
- Need: Urgency of work in the community.
- Impact: Success in realizing vision.
Nominate a Jefferson Award candidate: Click here.
Become a Volunteer!
No matter where you are in Washington State, you can serve your community as a volunteer. Here's a link to get you connected: volunteerwashington.org