Oregon City man gored to death by bull

Oregon City man gored to death by bull

Credit: Clackamas Co. Sheriff's Office

The 3-year-old bull that gored a man to death was shot down by a SWAT team member.


by By ERIC ADAMS / KGW.com Staff


Posted on August 15, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Updated Monday, Sep 28 at 11:06 AM

PORTLAND - A holiday family gathering in Oregon City ended tragically Sunday afternoon when a 66-year-old man was gored to death by a 1,200-pound bull.

Nearly 30 friends and family members had gathered on South Springwater Rd. at the home of Sabino Amando Martinez-Sierra for a dinner celebration. Her father, Aurgliano Paulino Martinez-Sierra, went out to feed the farm animals and disappeared for nearly an hour, the family told Clackamas County Sheriff's Office.

Alarmed at the prolonged absence, family members went out to look for Aurgliano. They found him in an adjacent field, gored to death, Detective Jim Strovink said.

Clackamas first responders were dispatched and examined the man's body, and determined he'd been brutally attacked, gored and killed. The only animal around capable of the attack was a 1,200 pound, massively horned 3-year-old bull, Strovink said.

The bull was approached by emergency responders but became "agitated" and would not allow investigators to continue their work in the field. They backed away and a neighbor came to assist in subduing the bull.

Michael McDonald, 61, came to assist medical personnel by distracting the threatening animal; the bull turned its attention toward him, charged and attacked, according to Strovink.

McDonald was pinned on the ground at one point but was able to get up and run to safety.

"McDonald was real lucky - he was in real jeopardy - I had my gun drawn by was unable to take the fatal shot at the attacking animal safely; I was running out of options!" a sheriff's deputy said.

Examiners were fearful of entering the field to continue their investigation after the bull broke through a fence, endangering everyone. A sheriff's deputy called in the Clackamas SWAT team and a sniper was dispatched to the field.

The bull's owner gave permission for the sniper to take the animal out and it was immediately shot and killed with a high-caliber rifle, Strovink said.

Once the bull had been killed examiners were able "to proceed with the dignified removal of the deceased from the property."

County trauma experts came out to the farm to assist with the family and everyone else who had witnessed the scene.

A butchering company was summoned to salvage the 1,200 pounds of beef.